We’re Back From Quilt Market

We’re back!  We just returned from Spring Quilt Market in Kansas City, MO, and although it is always exhausting to attend these trade shows, it’s exhilarating at the same time.  We visit each and every booth to see what each company has new to offer.  This is where many of our selections for our next fall catalog are made.  Here’s a quick peak at some of things we saw while there.

The convention center was in downtown Kansas City—it’s BIG!

Much of the show was focused on the fall season, so we saw lots of autumn and Halloween projects.

Spoooky! This was displayed in the Maywood booth. (Look for this quilt in our upcoming fall catalog!)

Laundry Basket Quilt Designs—STUNNING!

Hard to see, but across the aisle at P3 Designs, you can just see her newest harvest-themed Block of the Month. Believe me when I tell you—this is a work of art!

We saw plenty of new fabrics too.  Many of the fabrics we view are for delivery six months from now.  We need to work far in advance with the fabric vendors to plan future catalogs.

Here is a new collection by Holly Taylor for Moda Fabrics. We put this six-piece group together for one of our Moda Medley’s of the Month. Click the photo to see!

Here is another new collection in the works by Lonni Rossi for Andover Fabrics. We see fabrics in the early stages of development, often times on paper and sometimes in original artwork form too. We loved the wonderful use of taupe and gray in this collection.

Although Quilt Market is a ton of work, it is nice to escape the daily routine and visit a different city.  We never have time to go sightseeing, but this trip we decided to stay about 15 minutes away from the convention center to be closer to Country Club Plaza where there are tons of great restaurants and shops.  We enjoyed being able to walk across the street from our hotel and have so many choices for dinner.

This is where we stayed. Intercontinental Hotel at the Plaza. Sorry about the fuzzy pictures.

Here are some pictures of Country Club Plaza:

Fountain at Country Club Plaza

Beautiful gardens and architecture

These carriages were everywhere.

Did I mention KC is the City of Fountains?

Now that the trip is behind us, we are feverishly focused on our upcoming fall catalog that will mail in August.  We have loads of quilts to photograph, tons of copy to write and truckloads of fabrics to receive.  Keep your eye on your mailbox in August, because I can’t wait to share with you all the exciting things we found in KC!

I hope all our friends and customers in the U.S. enjoy a wonderfully long Memorial Day weekend.  Enjoy the picnics and traveling (and extra time for some quilting!), and be sure to take a moment to remember those who paid the ultimate sacrifice in service to our country.

Cheryl

**UPDATE**

Scotty Dog Quilt by Debbie Beaves

Label for Scotty Dog Quilt by Debbie Beaves

There were several comments about the Scotty Dog quilt featured in the email.  We love this quilt too, so you can bet it will show up in the pages of our fall catalog.  The quilt was designed by Debbie Beaves of the Violet Patch for Gail Fountain of E.E. Schenck/Maywood Studio.  Gail is the Marketing Director for E.E. Schenck/Maywood Studio.  Debbie learned that Gail lost her beloved Scotty dog, Katie, recently and made this quilt for her as a memorial.  I’ve attached a photo of the quilt label found on the back of the quilt.  It was originally just a gift for Gail but she received so many compliments on the quilt (especially from us) that she decided to offer the pattern for it.
The quilt is a cozy flannel from Maywood’s wonderful “Woolies Collection”, making it easy for us to offer as a kit in our fall catalog.  We’re glad you like it as much as we do.
Thanks for reading!
~Cheryl

This entry was posted in Behind the Scenes, Things we like. Bookmark the permalink.

37 Responses to We’re Back From Quilt Market

1. Rina says:

So glad you enjoyed our city, hope you had time for some of our famous barbeque. Can’t wait to see all the new things you brought back from market and am so looking forward to visiting Center Harbor this fall. I use my leaf peepers trip as an excuse to come to Keepsake.

2. Terry Brady says:

Love your catalog!

3. Barb Seely says:

Can you only attend this show if you have a business?

• Cheryl says:

Hi Barb,
      Yes, attendance is restricted to retailers, manufacturers, sales representatives, designers, teachers, publishing companies, book editors and video producers.
      Every year in the fall, Quilt Market is held in Houston, TX. The weekend after fall Quilt Market is when the International Quilt Festival is held and is open to the public. This year Festival begins Thursday, November 1st and ends Sunday November 4th. Visit http://quilts.com/home/shows/viewer.php?page=FallFestival for more information.
      Not only do many retailers show up for Festival but gorgeous quilts are on display from various challenges and traveling exhibits and that alone is worth the trip!
      Thanks for checking out our blog!
      ~Cheryl

4. Sharon Biesen says:

I really like the pictures. Thanks a lot

5. Lois says:

Thanks for the great photos of the quilt show. Sure looks like “everything is up to date in Kansas City!”

6. Carole says:

I love the Andover collection in Taupe & Gray.

7. Lucy Perhai says:

Enjoyed your picture of the city and quilts. Showmore quilts. Thank you

8. Carol C says:

*Love* the Lonni Rossi fabric. Can’t wait for it to come out!

9. Cynthia Proeber says:

I really love the Queen Anne Lace fabric from Andover Fabrics and I hope you ordered some for the store!! Cindy Proeber

10. Liz Salas says:

Love all the new fabrics and especially the Holloween quilt, tooooooo cute and I have to have it. Thanks for sharing.

Liz salas

11. I hope you will carry the Queen Anne Lace fabric from Andover Fabrics ,because I absolutely love it and hope to order it soon for a blouse. Cindy Proeber

12. Angela says:

I wish I could have seen the fabulous quilts and fabric at the market! So close…I live in KC!
    Looking forward to your next catalogue!

13. Candi Gordon says:

It looks like you had a wonderful time. Just received Volume 25 Summer 2012 today. Your catalogs just get better and better. I know you all put a ton of work into your catalog. Most of us don’t have a clue as to all that has to be done to get them out to our homes but I wanted to let you know that I am thrilled each and every time I see mine. I am so glad that you can at least enjoy seeing all those beautiful quilts, projects and products first hand/first eye before returning home to bust your behind to provide me with hours of dreaming of my next project. Thank you for all you hard work.

Remember to keep yourself in stitches,
    Candi Gordon

14. Paula Farley says:

I enjoyed seeing the fun places in K.C. you were able to visit. Looking forward to coming attractions this fall.

15. S says:

The Baltimore album style quilt from Laundry Basket Quilts is incredible! I hope you will carry the pattern or maybe the kit for hand appliqué!!

16. Durand Anne-Marie says:

J’attends l’automne avec impatience pour voir le nouveau catalogue.

17. Onita Oles says:

I have always wanted to experience quilt market..this blog gave me a flavor of why all the shop owners return invigorated and full of enthusiasm. Thank you for sharing. Now I want to go more.

Onita

18. Janet cohen says:

Love Lonnie’s new fabrics! Looking forward to seeing simple quilts and colors. Her work is always an inspiration to create!

19. Carmen Marsh says:

I live in Wichita, Ks, which is 3 & 1/2 hours from K.C. It was great seeing things from another’s eyes. To me Ks. is not that great, we don’t appreciate what we have. I love your store & spend hours looking over your catalogue. We have a lot of wonderful quilt shops in Ks. I grew up in Caribou,Me. & miss the trees & lakes. Thank you for an attitude adjustment. God Bless, Carmen Marsh.

20. Joan Hancock says:

Lovely pictures. I felt I was there. I have been (and am the envy of all my quilting friends) lucky enough to have visited your shop years ago. One of my favorite for sure. I was living in Hawaii at the time and had no such shop there.
    Mahalo for showing us your photos.

21. Margie Zelano says:

Hello from South Carolina…
    I visited your shop in New Hampshire in February and it was FABULIOUS! I bought lots of fabric. When I returned home to Sumter, SC I took some of the fabric to our Quilting on Themble Thursdays. All of my quilting friends got to touch it. Also I had pictures of your beautiful area. Everyone in your shop was very friendly and helpful. Every one at Themble Thursday was envious of me for getting to visit your Quilt Shop. I love your catelog and am looking forward to the Fall issue.

Have a GREAT DAY!!! Margie Zelano, Sumter, SC

22. Karen Bonse says:

I want the Scottie quilt!

23. Alice Holmes says:

I can’t wait for the catalog. I’ve seen some items I already desire!

24. Mary says:

I was hoping to see another picture of the adorable Scottie Dog pattern that was in the e-mail update about this blog post. I MUST MUST MUST have it! Please tell me where I can get one??

25. Margaret Newbold says:

I can’t believe that when I was visiting Keepsake Quilting Shop you were visiting my state! We were in NH for my son’s graduation on May 19 and I talked everyone into visiting the shop on Sunday. I am hoping that my son and daughter-in-law will consider being parents now that the schooling is over. I requested they look at fabrics and communicate what they would like for a baby quilt. No pressure! I just wanted an idea. They liked the teddy bear parade quilt kit and a blue fabric with animals – giraffes, elephant, crocodile etc. by Hoffman. I’m using that for the backing since they liked it.
    Glad you enjoyed Kansas City. It is a great city to visit. My daughter lives there and she IS a parent. I made her the Brown Bear Quilt from a kit I purchased at your shop last year during our visit. I appreciate having a kit since I am a novice quilter.

26. Jean Murphy says:

Thank you so much for sharing your Quilt Market pictures from Kansas City. I wish I lived close-by so I could participate too. I’m very impressed with your pictures and
    appreciate the sharing.

I must also thank you for your excellent service. It feels like Christmas when I receive a package from Keepsake. I have always been more than pleased with your products.

Sincerely, Jean

27. Barbara says:

The pictures from your travels to quilt market were wonderful.

28. Susan Moser says:

Please, please, please offer the Halloween quilt shown in your pictures as a kit!!!!!

• Cheryl says:

Hi Susan,
      We like this quilt too! I’m pretty sure we’ll be able to find a spot for this in our upcoming fall catalog. The quilt is actually a Block of the Month designed by the Quilt Co., so you’ll be able to pace yourself through the project.
      Thanks for reading our blog!
      ~Cheryl

29. Shona Duncan says:

Thank you for sharing your trip with us. Here in New Zealand, we are a long way from Quilt Market.

30. carole crawford says:

i love the scotty quilt… is there a pattern or kit thanks…all the pictures are wonderful.. wish i could have seen them in person….

31. Thea says:

love those gray/taupe Lonni Rossi prints!

32. Sue Bennett says:

Where did the quilt for the Scotty dog come from? It is awesome..

33. Diane says:

Enjoyed your market update! Looking forward to the fall catalog, as usual. Your catalog is pure fabric lovers eye candy. I visited the Luxembourg American Cemetery today, where General Patton is buried, happily fulfilling a Memorial Day requisite; it is a beautiful site. Thanks for the info!

34. Mildred Squyres says:

I didn’t know Kansas City was so beautiful. I love the new fabrics.

35. Julia Povala says:

Love the Scottie quilt. Are you going to have this in the coming catalog? As a ‘parent’ of two Scottie guys I would love to make them a Scottie quilt for our bed.